Events by this speaker
17Sep(Sep 17)3:00 PM23(Sep 23)11:30 AMFULL/WAIT LISTFinding Freedom in the Body3:00 PM - 11:30 AM (23) Upper Retreat Hall Teacher(s): Mary Grace Orr, Bob Stahl, Christiane Wolf, Marcy Reynolds (qigong)
17 (Monday) 3:00 PM - 23 (Sunday) 11:30 AM
Upper Retreat Hall
ApplicationDownload Wait List Application
Dates: Monday, September 17, 3:00pm - Sunday, September 23, 11:30am Sliding Scale: $1505 - $685, PLUS a donation to the teacher(s) and retreat staff. Code 392R18. This retreat is FULL. We are
Dates: Monday, September 17, 3:00pm – Sunday, September 23, 11:30am
Sliding Scale: $1505 – $685, PLUS a donation to the teacher(s) and retreat staff. Code 392R18.
This retreat is FULL. We are accepting wait list applications.
Please note: All Young Adult rates and Scholarship funds for this retreat have been allocated.
If you are interested and need financial assistance, we may have a work exchange available.
This retreat is suitable for both beginning and experienced meditators. We will work primarily with the first of the Four Foundations of Mindfulness – mindfulness of the body. The “32 Parts of the Body” meditation has rarely been taught in the West; you will be introduced to it from an Insight perspective of the true nature and wonders of the body. This practice has also been used for healing illness and most importantly to help eradicate the erroneous view of self. Various methods will be taught to strengthen mindfulness of the body and to explore the mind/body connection.
We will follow the usual format of an Insight Meditation (Vipassana) retreat, with periods of sitting and walking meditation, as well as qigong sessions for further exploration of mindfulness of the body.
Quotes from past participants:
“This retreat helped me realize more deeply the true impermanence of my body while cultivating a deep appreciation and gratitude for the miracle and mystery that this human body represents.”
“I really came to realize that my body, indeed, is a vessel in the truest sense of the word. I have always had great respect and awe for the workings of the human anatomy and physiology, but meditating on its parts and functions brought me even closer to the wonder of it all.”
Spirit Rock extends a special invitation to young adults (age 18-26) who wish to attend this retreat at a rate of $35 per night, on a first come, first serve basis. A limited number of special rates are available, please apply early.
Teachings are appropriate for all, including health care professionals. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program when working with clients. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
Based on the content of this workshop, health care professionals will be able to:
- Integrate the theory and practice of mindfulness meditation in ways useful to clients;
- Communicate to clients, and incorporate in a professional setting, the positive effects of deepening the quality of concentration in order to reduce stress and improve well-being;
- Use, and describe to clients, ways to identify and ease mental and physical compulsions by developing kind, open, and non-judging attention;
- Incorporate practices when working with clients to identify and establish a greater balance of compassion for oneself and others;
- Incorporate skills to work more effectively with stress, and be able to share these skills with clients;
- Utilize non-judgmental, moment to moment awareness of the relationship between the body and mind, in ways that may be shared with clients;
- Incorporate mindfulness meditation skills with clients to improve their sense of well-being and personal life control.
Bob Stahl, PhD
Christiane Wolf, PhD, MD
Mary Grace Orr, MA
Also remember that the cost above is priced as a sliding scale. Please pay at the highest level of the sliding scale that you can afford. This allows others who need to pay less the opportunity to attend. Fee is for room and board. Teaching and staffing of the retreats is by donation at the end of the retreat. For more information, see Retreat FAQ.
This course offers 19 CE credits for $190 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors and acupuncturists. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing Board to see if credits for programs from APA, BRN or CBAapproved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
- The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 19 contact hours.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
- The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
- Spirit Rock is an approved Continuing Education Provider for the California Acupuncture Board, CAB #1425. This Category 2 course has been approved for 19 hours of continuing education.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation. To qualify to receive the certificate of completion, participants must attend and sign-in to all required sessions. The list of required sessions will be available at the beginning of the retreat. No partial credit for partial attendance. For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, please see Continuing Education (CE) Credit.
Cancellation Policy: Refunds are available for residential retreat CE fees. If you would like a refund for your CE fee, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two (2) business days prior to the event. If you contact us at least two business days preceding the retreat, we will refund your CE fee minus a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel beyond the deadline stated above, you will not receive a refund. Please contact the Retreat Registrar at: retreats(at)spiritrock.org.