01JanAll Day31DecA Year to Live 2023Program Dates: January - December 2023(All Day) Online Teacher(s): Vinny Ferraro; Frank Ostaseski; Pam Dunn Sold OutOnlineNo prerequisiteOpen
Dates: January - December, 2023. Monthly large group sessions - Saturdays: January 21 (required!), February 25, March 18, April 22, May 20, June 17, July 15, August 19, September 23, October
Dates: January – December, 2023.
Monthly large group sessions – Saturdays: January 21 (required!), February 25, March 18, April 22, May 20, June 17, July 15, August 19, September 23, October 21, November 18, December 16, + “Graduation” on January 20, 2024
Time: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. US Pacific Time
Sliding Scale: $750-$1500. Scholarship sliding scale is available below. Code YL4T23.
Teaching Team: Vinny Ferraro (Lead), Pam Dunn, and Frank Ostaseski
This year-long program, based on the book A Year to Live by Stephen Levine, is designed for people of all ages, regardless of life stage. In community, we will focus on waking up and living life more fully through the exploration of death as spiritual practice.
In our largely death-denying modern culture, few are encouraged to actively contemplate the inevitability of our death, or that it could happen at any time. The Buddha recommended that we do just that, not to frighten us, but to use death as an object of contemplation to help us awaken to the fragile, fleeting, and precious nature of our lives.
Ultimately, this is a year-long practice in forgiveness, gratitude, and letting go. Through guided meditations, inquiry, and small group discussions, we will be guided, with the support of community, through a process of living this year as if it were our last. All are warmly welcome!
- Format: Online
- Teachings: Monthly (12) large group sessions (recorded)
- Community support: Monthly (12), self-organized home group sessions with home group sangha (required, each group will determine a time that works for everyone during the January session)
- Q&A sessions (monthly, optional, recorded)
- Home practice: Guided meditations, readings, reflections (estimated 5-7 hours/month + monthly home groups + daily meditation)
- Access: Video and audio recordings
- Session 1: The Prognosis
- Session 2: Fear of Death and Dying
- Session 3: Softening to Fear
- Session 4: Practicing Dying
- Session 5: Life Review—Making Peace
- Session 6: Building an Altar—Service
- Session 7: Who or What Dies?
- Session 8: What Comes Next?
- Session 9: What to Do With This Body?
- Session 10: A Will, a Memorial, and an Epitaph
- Session 11: We are Not Alone
- Session 12: Saying Good-bye
IMPORTANT! If you are unable to make this Participation Commitment at this time, please wait and join us for a future iteration. Please review the Dharma Trainings website for A Year to Live for more details.
Scholarships are limited and are reserved for those truly experiencing financial hardship. Scholarship sliding scale: $50-$500. Financial assistance for training programs is generally offered once per year, per person. We generally offer financial assistance for training programs once per year, per person.
• $100 cancellation fee – On or before January 18, by 5:00pm US Pacific Time
• No refunds: Open credit or tax deductible donation – January 19 until February 27 (after the second class)
• No refunds or open credits – February 28 and beyond
*Fees reduced for scholarship participants
QUESTIONS? Please email us.
View Frank's upcoming programs or profile.
View Pam's profile.
View Vinny's upcoming programs or profile.