03Jun(Jun 3)3:00 PM09(Jun 9)11:30 AMAwakening Joy3:00 PM - 11:30 AM (9) Upper Retreat Hall Teacher(s): James Baraz; Debra Chamberlin-Taylor; Howard Cohn, PhD; Jane Baraz, MA; Evelyn Larsen (movement); Dawn Mauricio (assistant) No pre-requisite
Dates: Monday, June 3, 3:00pm - Sunday, June 9, 11:30am Sliding Scale: TBD, PLUS a donation to the teacher(s) and retreat staff. Code 258R19. 11 CE credits available for $110, for psychologists and
Dates: Monday, June 3, 3:00pm – Sunday, June 9, 11:30am
Sliding Scale: TBD, PLUS a donation to the teacher(s) and retreat staff. Code 258R19.
11 CE credits available for $110, for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors.
Will open for registration on 2/6/2019.
“It is that gladness connected with the wholesome that I call an equipment of mind….for developing a mind that is without hostility and without ill will.”
The Buddha was known as “The Happy One.” However, the teachings often seem to emphasize working with suffering. Joy and happiness can seem frivolous or unspiritual even though joy is one of the Seven Factors of Awakening. In this retreat we will practice with an emphasis on cultivating wholesome states to develop our natural capacity for well-being and happiness. Our own development of well-being and joy then becomes our gift to a troubled world.
The retreat includes silent sitting and walking periods with instructions and practice meetings with teachers, as well as some experiential exercises during the five days. This retreat is appropriate for both experienced as well as new/beginning students.
Practices will include:
- Inclining the mind toward wholesome states;
- The power of wholesome intention;
- Mindfulness as appreciation practice (wonder and gratitude);
- Embracing suffering as a path to joy;
- How letting go leads to true freedom;
- Integrity as a foundation for well-being;
- Metta (loving-kindness) for self and others;
- Mudita (sympathetic joy);
- Compassion–the expression of a wise heart;and
- The joy of simply being.
Financial assistance is available for all Spirit Rock residential retreats. Our scholarship rate is $40/night and available for all those with financial hardship with special funds allocated to People of Color (POC), folks with serious medical conditions, and young adults (age 18-26). Scholarship funding is offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. Scholarships are budgeted per retreat and because they are in high demand, can run out quickly. We encourage you to register for a retreat as close as possible to the registration opening date (lotteries are an exception).
Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for attendance requirements and more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
Based on the content of this program, you will be able to:
- Explain how mindfulness can interrupt confused and negative thinking;
- Utilize the practice of inclining the mind towards the possibility of more joy, in ways that may improve patient care, or reduce burnout;
- Describe a gratitude practice that supports well-being and may be used to reduce challenging experiences such as stress, anxiety, or depression;
- Incorporate the use of the acronym RAIN when working with clients;
- Describe how compassion affects the nervous system;
- Explain to clients how attachment can lead to suffering;
- Integrate the practices of forgiveness, acceptance, and self-compassion in ways that improve patient care;
- Employ techniques to support clients in counter-acting a tendency towards self-judgment and feelings of unworthiness.
Continuing Education content level: Introductory
Also remember that the cost above is priced as a sliding scale. Please pay at the highest level of the sliding scale that you can afford. This allows others who need to pay less the opportunity to attend. Fee is for room and board. Teaching and staffing of the retreats is by donation at the end of the retreat. For more information, see Retreat FAQ.
This program offers 11 CE credits for $110 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing board to see if credits from APA or BRN approved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
– The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
– Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 11 contact hours.
– The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
– The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation.
– Register for CE credits before the retreat begins.
– Sign-in to all required sessions within 5-minutes of the start of each session.. The list of required sessions will be available at the beginning of the retreat.
– Turn in evaluation and pick up certificate after last session.
– There is no required session on the final day of the retreat.
– Partial credit is not permissible by Board regulations.
Refunds are available for residential retreat CE fees. If you would like a refund for your CE fee, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two (2) business days prior to the event. If you contact us at least two business days preceding the retreat, we will refund your CE fee minus a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel beyond the deadline stated above, you will not receive a refund. Please contact the Retreat Registrar at: retreats(at)spiritrock.org.
For more information about CE credits at Spirit Rock, please see our CE Credit information page
Howard Cohn, MA
Jane Baraz, MA