06Jul10:00 AM5:00 PMCultivating Wise Speech: Becoming More Skillful in Your Speech Practice10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Community Meditation Center Teacher(s): Donald Rothberg, PhD No prerequisiteOpen
Date: July 6, 2019; 10:00am - 5:00pm Sliding Scale: $75 - 200. Code DR3D19. 6 CE credits available for $60, for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors, K-12 educators in
Date: July 6, 2019; 10:00am – 5:00pm
Sliding Scale: $75 – 200. Code DR3D19.
6 CE credits available for $60, for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors, K-12 educators in some districts, and acupuncturists.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Spirit Rock’s Administrative offices will be closed on Thursday, July 4 through Friday, July 5, 2019, in observance of the Fourth of July holiday. Because of this, online registration will close on Wednesday, July 3rd at 12:00noon for all non-residential events held Friday through Sunday, July 5 – 7, 2019. Please plan ahead if you wish to register online. Registration will be open at the door, if events are not sold out prior to the event start date. There will be an additional $5 fee for registering at the door.
Connecting our meditation practice with our speech and communication is one of the main ways to bring spiritual values further into our everyday lives. In this day retreat, we will support this intention by integrating periods of sitting and walking meditation with talks, communication exercises, and discussion. We will focus on (1) the basic teachings of the Buddha on wise speech, (2) cultivating mindfulness during speaking and listening, and (3) learning how to practice wise and compassionate speech in difficult conditions–such as when there are difficult emotions, when there is conflict, or when there are challenging interpersonal or group dynamics.
Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals and K-12 educators, as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for attendance requirements and more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
At the end of the program you will better able to:
• Describe the foundations of skillful speech in four ethical principles as taught in the Buddhist tradition, and be able to use these principles when communicating in the health care field;
• Describe 3 ways of using skillful speech in challenging and difficult situations, useful for interactions with clients and coworkers;
• Describe 2 practical methods of developing more caring speech, including cultivating empathy in speech, that might be used in both professional and personal settings;
• Describe 2 practical ways of developing greater mindfulness and presence during speech, which, when used in a clinical setting, may result in improved patient care.
Continuing Education content level: Intermediate
Online registration for our programs is available until 12 noon of the last business day prior to the day of the event (e.g. online registration for a Monday program ends at 12 noon on the prior Friday). There is an additional $5 fee for registering at the door. If you can’t attend an event you registered for, please see our Cancellation Policy.
Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review our Non-Residential Programs FAQ for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
This program offers 6 CE credits for $60 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors, and K-12 educators in some district, and acupuncturists. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing board to see if credits from APA, BRN, or CAB approved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
– The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
– Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 6 contact hours.
– The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
– The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
– Spirit Rock is an approved Continuing Education Provider for the California Acupuncture Board, CAB #1425. This Category 1 course has been approved by the California Acupuncture Board for 6 hours of continuing education.
– California K-12 Educators: This program may be applicable for professional learning opportunities for K-12 educators, depending on district requirements. Before registering for CE credits, please check with your district or Local Education Agency for applicable policies to ensure acceptance of academic credits earned. Spirit Rock is not affiliated with a University.
– Sign-in at the CE table within 15 minutes of the start of the program;
– Stay until the end of the program;
– Sign out.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered. For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, please visit the CE Credit information page.
If you are unable to attend a program, or fulfill the attendance requirements for CE credit, you may offer your CE credit fee as a donation to Spirit Rock, or you may request a credit to be used towards a future non-residential program. If you would like a credit, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two business days prior to the program. For more information, please see our Cancellation Policy for Non-Residential Programs.
Donald Rothberg, PhD
Donald Rothberg, PhD
View Donald's profile.