31Aug10:00 AM5:00 PMCultivating Wise SpeechBecoming More Skillful in Your Speech Practice10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Community Meditation Center Teacher(s): Donald Rothberg, PhD No prerequisiteOpen
Sliding Scale: $75 – 200. Code DR3D18. 6 CE credits available for $60 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors and acupuncturists. Connecting our meditation practice with our
Sliding Scale: $75 – 200. Code DR3D18.
6 CE credits available for $60 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors and acupuncturists.
Connecting our meditation practice with our speech and communication is one of the main ways to bring spiritual values further into our everyday lives. In this day retreat, we will support this intention by integrating periods of sitting and walking meditation with talks, communication exercises, and discussion.
We will focus on (1) the basic teachings of the Buddha on wise speech, (2) cultivating mindfulness during speaking and listening, and (3) learning how to practice wise and compassionate speech when difficult emotions or conflict is present, or when there are challenging interpersonal or group dynamics.
Young Adults (18-26) and Seniors (65+ with limited income) are invited to attend this day for $45.
Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for attendance requirements and more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
Based on the content of this program, you will be able to:
- Describe the foundations of skillful speech in four ethical principles as taught in the Buddhist tradition, and its applicability to the specifics of communicating in the health care field;
- Describe 2 practical ways of developing greater mindfulness and presence during speech, which may result in improved patient care, including during tense situations;
- Describe 2 practical methods of developing more caring and skillful speech, including cultivating empathy in speech, that might be used in both a professional and personal setting;
- Describe 3 ways of using skillful speech in challenging and difficult situations, including interactions with clients and coworkers.
Online registration for our programs is available until 12 noon of the last business day prior to the day of the event (e.g. online registration for a Monday program ends at 12 noon on the prior Friday). There is an additional $5 fee for registering at the door. If you can’t attend an event you registered for, please see our Cancellation Policy.
Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review our Non-Residential Programs FAQ for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
This course offers 6 CE credits for $60 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors and acupuncturists. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing Board to see if credits for programs from APA, BRN or CBA approved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
- The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 6 contact hours.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
- The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
- Spirit Rock is an approved Continuing Education Provider for the California Acupuncture Board, CAB #1425. This Category 1 course has been approved by the California Acupuncture Board for 6 hours of continuing education.
Please note: In order to qualify for CE credit, participants must attend the event in full: arrive and sign-in at the CE table within 15 minutes of the start of the program, stay until the end of the program, and sign out. Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered. For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, please see Continuing Education (CE) Credit.
If you are unable to attend a program, or fulfill the attendance requirements for CE credit, you may offer your CE credit fee as a donation to Spirit Rock, or you may request a credit to be used towards a future non-residential program. If you would like a credit, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two business days prior to the program. For more information, please see our Cancellation Policy for Non-Residential Programs.
Donald Rothberg, PhD
Donald Rothberg, PhD
View Donald's profile.