This is a repeating eventJanuary 29, 2018 10:00 AM
Date: 5 Mondays: January 22 - February 19, 2018; 10:00am - 12:00pm Cost: $125 - 200 sliding scale. Code SR1C18. Traumatic events can leave physiological and emotional scars that alter neurological structures
Date: 5 Mondays: January 22 – February 19, 2018; 10:00am – 12:00pm
Cost: $125 – 200 sliding scale. Code SR1C18.
Traumatic events can leave physiological and emotional scars that alter neurological structures and functions, which in turn can inhibit our progress on the path of awakening. In this class series, we will develop a body of skills that we can use to recognize and reduce the painful effects of trauma and thereby free up energy for meditation. Together, we will explore healing practices to help bring deeper meaning, connection, and freedom to our lives and practice.
This 5-week class is designed for meditators who have encountered barriers in their meditative experience and are unsure as to why.
Both new and experienced meditators are welcome.
Teachings are appropriate for the general public as well as health care professionals. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this class series when working with clients. See below for more information, including attendance requirements.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
Based on the content of this program, you will be able to:
- Describe three elements of somatic practice that may be used to heal trauma;
- Identify aspects of meditation practice that are resourcing;
- Describe 2 components of the autonomic nervous system and how they function together;
- Explain trauma from a body perspective;
- Describe how tracking sensations is used to regulate the nervous system;
- Describe how meditation can be utilized to heal trauma;
- Identify unique aspects of meditation that can benefit healing.
Young Adults (18-26) and Seniors (65+ with limited income) are invited to attend this class for $75.
Online registration for our programs is available until 12 noon of the last business day prior to the day of the event (e.g. online registration for a Monday program ends at 12 noon on the prior Friday). There is an additional $5 fee for registering at the door. If you can’t attend an event you registered for, please see our Cancellation Policy.
Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review our Non-Residential Programs FAQ for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
This course offers 8 CE credits for $80 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing Board to see if credits for programs from APA or BRN approved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
- The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 8 contact hours.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
- The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered.8 hours of Continuing Education credit will be available for those who complete the minimum attendance requirements for the course. No partial or per class credit will be offered. To qualify for the 8 CE credits, participants must attend at least 4 of the 5 classes. Participants must arrive within 15 minutes of the beginning of each class for their attendance to be counted, and stay until the end. Participants will be required to sign in and out of every class. For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, please see Continuing Education (CE) Credit. Please note: In order to qualify for CE credit, you must arrive and sign-in at the CE table within 15 minutes of the start of the event, stay until the end of the program, and sign out.
Cancellation Policy: If you are unable to attend a program, or fulfill the attendance requirements for CE credit, you may offer your CE credit fee as a donation to Spirit Rock, or you may request a credit to be used towards a future non-residential program. If you would like a credit, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two business days prior to the program. For more information, please see our Cancellation Policy for Non-Residential Programs.