16Dec(Dec 16)3:00 PM23(Dec 23)11:30 AMInsight Meditation Winter Solstice RetreatEmbracing the Dark, Inviting the Light3:00 PM - 11:30 AM (23) Upper Retreat Hall Teacher(s): Donald Rothberg, PhD; Heather Sundberg; Oren Jay Sofer, SEP; Carol Cano (assistant) No prerequisite
Dates: Monday, December 16, 3:00pm - Monday, December 23, 11:30am; 7 nights Sliding Scale: TBD, PLUS a donation to the teacher(s) and retreat staff. Code 318R19. 14 CE credits available for $140, for
Dates: Monday, December 16, 3:00pm – Monday, December 23, 11:30am; 7 nights
Sliding Scale: TBD, PLUS a donation to the teacher(s) and retreat staff. Code 318R19.
14 CE credits available for $140, for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors.
Will open for registration on 8/14/2019.
In this retreat, we will emphasize centering ourselves at the time of the holidays and the New Year, through quieting our minds, grounding in our bodies, opening up our hearts, and using inquiry to help give energy to our practice. There will be a special emphasis on opening to the darkness, including to our difficulties and challenges, as well as to the coming light–to our beauty, joy, wisdom, and love. The retreat will include complete meditation instructions, sitting and walking meditation, daily loving kindness practice, daily qigong practice, evening talks, practice discussions, and a Winter Solstice ceremony.
Financial assistance is available for all Spirit Rock residential retreats. Our scholarship rate is $40/night and available for all those with financial hardship with special funds allocated to People of Color (POC), folks with serious medical conditions, and young adults (age 18-26). Scholarship funding is offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. Scholarships are budgeted per retreat and because they are in high demand, can run out quickly. We encourage you to register for a retreat as close as possible to the registration opening date (lotteries are an exception).
A unique scholarship opportunity — the Hemera Contemplative Fellowship! If you are 18 years of age or older with a commitment to service — serving others through your profession — you should consider reviewing the eligibility for this Fellowship. In general, this Fellowship is for those who are full-time in the listed eligible professions and are new to silent residential retreat practice. Follow this link for more detailed information: Hemera Contemplative Fellowships. ONE scholarship allowed per person, per calendar year.
Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for attendance requirements and more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
Based on the content of this program, you will be able to:
- List 4 ways of developing mindfulness, of different parts of our experience;
- Describe a loving-kindness meditation that may be useful during difficult times;
- Describe practices that may be used during stressful times, such as holidays or family gatherings, to find balance and calm;
- Incorporate mindfulness of breath practices to settle and stabilize awareness and to calm the mind, that may be used in preparation for and when working with clients.
- Incorporate various mindfulness practices to improve emotional self-regulation, that may be used while working with clients;
- Utilize body awareness practices to deepen presence and the ability to listen well with clients;
- Demonstrate three ways to bring mindfulness into daily life in ways that improve well-being;
- Demonstrate three ways to bring lovingkindness into daily life in ways that improve well-being;
- Describe the applicability of mindfulness meditation as a resource for health care providers;
- Utilize Qigong movements to develop the centering and grounding of the body, and settling and calming of the mind and body.
Continuing Education content level: Introductory
Also remember that the cost above is priced as a sliding scale. Please pay at the highest level of the sliding scale that you can afford. This allows others who need to pay less the opportunity to attend. Fee is for room and board. Teaching and staffing of the retreats is by donation at the end of the retreat. For more information, see Retreat FAQ.
This program offers 14 CE credits for $140 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing board to see if credits from APA or BRN approved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
– The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
– Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 14 contact hours.
– The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
– The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation.
– Register for CE credits before the retreat begins.
– Sign-in to all required sessions within 5-minutes of the start of each session.. The list of required sessions will be available at the beginning of the retreat.
– Turn in evaluation and pick up certificate after last session.
– There is no required session on the final day of the retreat.
– Partial credit is not permissible by Board regulations.
Refunds are available for residential retreat CE fees. If you would like a refund for your CE fee, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two (2) business days prior to the event. If you contact us at least two business days preceding the retreat, we will refund your CE fee minus a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel beyond the deadline stated above, you will not receive a refund. Please contact the Retreat Registrar at: retreats(at)spiritrock.org.
For more information about CE credits at Spirit Rock, please see our CE Credit information page
Donald Rothberg, PhD
Oren Jay Sofer, SEP