Dates: Saturday & Sunday, April 9 -10, 2022 Times: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. US Pacific Time Sliding Scale: $75-$600. Our sliding scale options for this program include financial support for our
Dates: Saturday & Sunday, April 9 -10, 2022
Times: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. US Pacific Time
Sliding Scale: $75-$600. Our sliding scale options for this program include financial support for our teachers. Code NM1M22.
Continuing Education Credits: This program offers 9 CE credits for $90 for licensed psychologists, and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors.*
The foundational practice of samatha leads to the state of samādhi, where the mind is undistracted, bright, and spacious. Such sustained practice can culminate in profoundly still states, known as jhana, where the mind becomes blissfully absorbed in the object of attention.
This practice often conjures up tense effort with a furrowed brow, where a practitioner exerts Herculean effort or the force of a mental whip to stop distractions and pull the mind into one-pointedness. Instead, “collecting” or “calming” the mind are better frames.
Together, we’ll cultivate supportive conditions to calm the beloved puppy of the mind through giving gentle, affectionate directions that are at the same time resolved and steady.
A well-collected mind is more capable of a fresh perspective on its internal psychological processes, and especially, more inclined to the arising of universal, liberating insights. Developing samādhi, to any extent possible, serves as a doorway to liberation.
All are welcome! No one will be turned away for lack of funds as space allows. For more information, please email Registration@spiritrock.org.
Continuing Education (CE) credit available:
This program offers 9 CE credits for $90 for licensed psychologists, and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors. Please review our Continuing Education Credit information page to determine if your association or board will accept credits offered by Spirit Rock.***
Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate tools and practices offered in this program as in ways useful to both themselves and clients. Care providers will be able to both cultivate their own present moment awareness, and share these practices with their clients to support the arising of insight. Utilizing concentration practices can support care providers to improve patient and self-care while reducing their stress, emotional reactivity, and rumination.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
At the end of the program you will better able to:
- Describe the goal of concentration practice and the potential pitfalls;
- Explain the relationship between concentration, mindfulness, and the arising of insight;
- State the supporting factors for concentration/stability of the mind;
- Explain a technique for developing concentration;
- Utilize mindfulness of breathing practices to develop present moment awareness, and to calm the mind in preparation for, and when working with clients or patients;
- Utilize body awareness practices to deepen listening presence with colleagues, clients, or patients.
Continuing Education content level: Introductory
- For those with a different license or with a license from a different licensing board, please contact your licensing board directly to ask if CE credit from the above-approved sponsors is accepted. Spirit Rock does not confirm applicability of credit for those with licenses different than those listed above. Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 9 contact hours.
- Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered.
- For full Provider information, and additional CEC information, including attendance requirements, cancellation, and grievance policies, please visit our Continuing Education Credit information page.