05Aug(Aug 5)10:00 AM07(Aug 7)4:00 PMMindful Communication: How to Create Real Dialogue & Healthy RelationshipsRegistration now closed10:00 AM - 4:00 PM (7) Community Meditation Center Teacher(s): Oren Jay Sofer, SEP On-landOnlineNo prerequisiteOpen
Date & Time: Friday - Sunday, August 5-7, 2022; 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. US Pacific Time In-Person Sliding Scale: $150 - $1008. Our sliding scale options for this program include
Date & Time: Friday – Sunday, August 5-7, 2022; 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. US Pacific Time
In-Person Sliding Scale: $150 – $1008. Our sliding scale options for this program include financial support for our teachers and Spirit Rock. Code OS1M22.
Continuing Education Credits: This program offers 15 CE credits for $150 for psychologists, and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors, licensed by the APA, California BBS, BRN, or BCE.*
Please Note: This program will be offered as a hybrid: on-land and online. This is the registration page for the on-land program to be held in the Community Meditation Center.
Training ourselves to speak in a wise and non-harmful way is one of the factors of the Noble Eightfold Path. How can we use our spiritual practice to deepen our relationships personally and professionally? What tools do we have inwardly and outwardly to bring about these changes in our lives?
In this three-day interactive retreat, we will explore how to bring more mindfulness and care to our communication: our listening, our speaking, and even our thinking. We’ll explore Buddhist guidelines for Wise Speech and the contemporary discipline of Nonviolent Communication. Together, these practices form a powerful foundation for cultivating insight, self-understanding, and empathy.
This retreat is not silent, and will include periods of instruction and interactive practice, as well as meditation and reflection. All are welcome, with no prior experience necessary.
Space is very limited due to COVID protocols in place, please register here only if you can join us on the land. If you can only join us remotely online, please register for the Online version and you can participate by Zoom or watch the program later.
Continuing Education (CE) credit available:
This program offers 15 CE credits for $150 for psychologists, and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors, licensed by the APA, California BBS, BRN, or BCE.*
Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
At the end of the program you will better able to:
- Describe the concept of “presence” and its benefits for communication with clients/patients and co-workers, including how this practice may reduce stress and professional burnout;
- List at least three habitual, unhelpful ways of reacting to conflict;
- Demonstrate the clinical skill of pausing, and describe how this skill can improve communication with patients/clients and health care team members;
- Describe the differences between “needs” and “strategies,” and how understanding this difference when working with clients results in improved clinical outcomes;
- Describe the difference between empathy and non-empathic forms of communication, and how empathic communication may improve the clinician-patient relationship;
- Demonstrate three forms of offering empathic connection, in ways that may improve patient care;
- Identify and distinguish basic emotions from words implying being judgmental or projecting blame;
- Explain the difference between observations and evaluations or interpretations;
- Demonstrate translating a judgmental statement into an observation, feeling, and need;
- Describe the difference between requests aimed at enhancing connection and requested aimed at devising a solution.
Continuing Education content level: Introductory
- For those with a different license or with a license from a different licensing board, please contact your licensing board directly to ask if CE credit from the above-approved sponsors is accepted. Spirit Rock does not confirm applicability of credit for those with licenses different than those listed above. Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 15 contact hours.
- Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered.
- For full Provider information, and additional CEC information, including attendance requirements, cancellation, and grievance policies, please visit our Continuing Education Credit information page.
Oren Jay Sofer, SEP
Oren Jay Sofer, SEP
View Oren's upcoming programs or profile.