20May10:00 AM4:30 PMMindfulness and Ethics - CANCELLEDThe Weave of Awareness and Action10:00 AM - 4:30 PM Community Meditation Center Teacher(s): Sean Feit Oakes
Cost: Sliding Scale $75 - 200. Code SF3D18. Throughout the Theravada tradition, mindfulness and ethics are considered inseparable parts of the path. In contemporary culture, however, they are often presented separately,
Cost: Sliding Scale $75 – 200. Code SF3D18.
Throughout the Theravada tradition, mindfulness and ethics are considered inseparable parts of the path. In contemporary culture, however, they are often presented separately, and may appear to be very different practices.
In this day of practice and study, we’ll look at aspects of both mindfulness and wise action, exploring how these two pillars of the Dhamma work together to support insight and healing. Our focus will be on bringing mindfulness to our relationships, work, and engagement with the world, as well as understanding the awareness practices themselves as fundamentally ethical in nature.
Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for attendance requirements and more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
Based on the content of this program, you will be able to:
- Define mindfulness as presented in Theravada Buddhism, and what practices support increased mindfulness;
- Identify ways that normative ethical practices in health care can be supported by mindfulness practice;
- Use mindfulness to help assess complex situations for their ethical implications and challenges;
- Integrate mindfulness and meditation practices into your self-care protocol, and utilize mindfulness as an effective support for decision-making.
Young Adults (18-26) and Seniors (65+ with limited income) are invited to attend this day for $45.
Online registration for our programs is available until 12 noon of the last business day prior to the day of the event (e.g. online registration for a Monday program ends at 12 noon on the prior Friday). There is an additional $5 fee for registering at the door. If you can’t attend an event you registered for, please see our Cancellation Policy.
Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review our Non-Residential Programs FAQ for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
This course offers 5.5 CE credits for $55 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors and acupuncturists. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing Board to see if credits for programs from APA, BRN or CBA approved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
- The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 5.5 contact hours.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
- The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
- Spirit Rock is an approved Continuing Education Provider for the California Acupuncture Board, CAB #1425. This Category 1 course has been approved by the California Acupuncture Board for 5.5 hours of continuing education.
Please note: In order to qualify for CE credit, participants must attend the event in full: arrive and sign-in at the CE table within 15 minutes of the start of the program, stay until the end of the program, and sign out. Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered. For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, please see Continuing Education (CE) Credit.
If you are unable to attend a program, or fulfill the attendance requirements for CE credit, you may offer your CE credit fee as a donation to Spirit Rock, or you may request a credit to be used towards a future non-residential program. If you would like a credit, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two business days prior to the program. For more information, please see our Cancellation Policy for Non-Residential Programs.
Sean Oakes, PhD
Sean Oakes, PhD
View Sean's upcoming programs or profile.