Dates: Monday, September 14, 3:00pm - Sunday, September 20, 11:30am; 6 nights. Sliding Scale: $1700-$750, PLUS a donation to the teacher(s) and retreat staff. Code 383R20. 15 CE credits available for $150,
Dates: Monday, September 14, 3:00pm – Sunday, September 20, 11:30am; 6 nights.
Sliding Scale: $1700-$750, PLUS a donation to the teacher(s) and retreat staff. Code 383R20.
15 CE credits available for $150, for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors.
Please Note: We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and may move this retreat online. We have suspended taking registrations for now. Timing is TBD.
As social beings, our lives are inextricably interwoven. The Buddha emphasized the immense power of social harmony and spiritual friendship as factors conducive to awakening. In this retreat, we will explore relational Dharma teachings that foster peace, both internally and externally. The integral part of this six-day retreat will be the practice of Wise Speech, a skillful vehicle for expressing the Dharma fully into our whole lives. We will study, contemplate and practice the Buddha’s teachings using Insight Dialogue and the contemporary discipline of Nonviolent Communication. These interpersonal Dharma practices bring the insight and tranquility of traditional Buddhist meditation into our interactions with others. Through an attentive weaving of meditative dialogue practice, silent mindfulness and kindness meditation, mindful movement, and time in nature, we will deepen the essential meditative qualities that support the possibility of awakening together.
Location: Upper Walking Hall. This retreat is designed as a smaller and more intimate retreat and, as such, will be held in the upper Walking Hall located in the upper retreat building. The upper Walking Hall is accessible by the stairs to the left as you enter the Retreat Hall foyer, or by a path at the back of the building, on the left.
Financial assistance is available for all Spirit Rock residential retreats. Our scholarship rate is $40/night and available for all those with financial hardship with special funds allocated to People of Color (POC), folks with serious medical conditions, and young adults (age 18-26). Scholarship funding is offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. Scholarships are budgeted per retreat and because they are in high demand, can run out quickly. We encourage you to register for a retreat as close as possible to the registration opening date (lotteries are an exception).
Continuing Education (CE) credit available. Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. See below for attendance requirements and more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
At the end of the program you will be better able to:
• List four ethical guidelines and three foundations of Mindful Communication;
• Explain three ways of bringing presence to conversations;
• List the four components of training attention in Nonviolent Communication;
• Explain the differences between “needs” and “strategies,” and how awareness of human needs supports compassion;
• Accurately assess true emotions from words implying being judgmental or projecting blame;
• Demonstrate the ability to offer a verbal empathic reflection by linking feelings with underlying needs;
• Explain the difference between observations and evaluations or interpretations;
• Rewrite a judgmental statement as an observation, feeling and need;
• Explain at least two ways of modulating one’s nervous system activation during conflict.
Continuing Education content level: Introductory
Also remember that the cost above is priced as a sliding scale. Please pay at the highest level of the sliding scale that you can afford. This allows others who need to pay less the opportunity to attend. Fee is for room and board. Teaching and staffing of the retreats is by donation at the end of the retreat. For more information, see Retreat FAQ.
This program offers 15 CE credits for $150 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing board to see if credits from APA or BRN approved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
– CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC). The Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
– Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 15 contact hours.
– The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association..
– The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation.
– Register for CE credits before the retreat begins.
– Sign-in to all required sessions within 5-minutes of the start of each session. The list of required sessions will be available at the beginning of the retreat. Please Note: You may need to leave the meditation hall between sessions to sign in the next session. It is the participant’s responsibility to remember to attend and sign in to each required session.
– Turn in evaluation and pick up certificate after last session.
– There is no required session on the final day of the retreat.
– Partial credit is not permissible by Board regulations.
Refunds are available for residential retreat CE fees. If you would like a refund for your CE fee, you must cancel at least two (2) weeks prior to the event. If you contact us less than two weeks prior to the retreat, you will receive a partial refund; a $50 processing fee will be charged. Please contact the Retreat Registrar at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about CE credits at Spirit Rock, please see our CE Credit information page