14Apr10:00 AM4:30 PMRenew and RevitalizeSustaining Yourself As a Care Provider10:00 AM - 4:30 PM Community Meditation Center Teacher(s): Phillip Moffitt
Cost: Sliding scale $0 - 108. Code PM1G18. NEW PROCEDURE for Dana Days: To help us better support teachers, staff and you; and to plan for this day, we would prefer you
Cost: Sliding scale $0 – 108. Code PM1G18.
NEW PROCEDURE for Dana Days: To help us better support teachers, staff and you; and to plan for this day, we would prefer you register ahead of time online. You may make dana offerings at the same time you register online and you may make dana offerings as the door.
Care providing has obvious challenges — stress, energy demands, tension and excess workload. And it has hidden costs — self-criticism, sacrificing your own self-care, and falling into despair. This is true for professional care providers and for those who are caring for ailing family or friends.
In this daylong, we will focus on renewal and look at both the apparent and hidden demands that care providers experience through the lens of the Buddha’s psychology of mindfulness and intentional cultivation of attitude. We will explore how to apply mindfulness to meet the particular needs of the care provider and discuss some of the other skillful means the Buddha taught that can mitigate the stress of care providing.
You will learn the importance of placing attention, the art of letting go of expectations and attachments, how to determine what is yours and not yours to own in the way of responsibility, and how to recognize and respond to the confusion of mind that arises around care providing.
The day will include guided meditations tailored for care providers, dharma talks, self-care techniques, gentle stretching, and time for group discussion. The teachings are appropriate for therapists and other healthcare professionals and are applicable in therapeutic settings as well as for personal care.
We all need compassion and time for renewal, so this will be a day for taking care of you. Brief individual interviews will be offered with assistant teachers.
Teachings are appropriate for the general public as well as health care professionals. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program when working with clients. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals- Based on the content of this program, you will be able to:
- Apply self-care techniques to enhance your emotional well-being in the face of the stress of care providing;
- Utilize mindfulness practices to reduce reactive mind states and develop responsive mind states so as to reduce emotional exhaustion;
- Detect patterns of blame and shame that may be undermining your effectiveness and depleting your energy;
- Identify specific self-care goals as relates to the body in order to increase your physical well-being and sustain your care providing capacity.
Online registration for our programs is available until 12 noon of the last business day prior to the day of the event (e.g. online registration for a Monday program ends at 12 noon on the prior Friday). There is an additional $5 fee for registering at the door. If you can’t attend an event you registered for, please see our Cancellation Policy.
Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review our Non-Residential Programs FAQ for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
This course offers 5.5 CE credits for $55 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors and acupuncturists. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing Board to see if credits for programs from APA, BRN or CBAapproved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
- The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 5.5 contact hours.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
- The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
- Spirit Rock is an approved Continuing Education Provider for the California Acupuncture Board, CAB #1425. This Category 2 course has been approved by the California Acupuncture Board for 5.5 hours of continuing education.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered. To qualify to receive the certificate of completion, participants must attend the event in full – no partial credit for partial attendance. For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, please see Continuing Education (CE) Credit. Please note: In order to qualify for CE credit, you must arrive and sign-in at the CE table within 15 minutes of the start of the event, stay until the end of the program, and sign out.
Cancellation Policy: If you are unable to attend a program, or fulfill the attendance requirements for CE credit, you may offer your CE credit fee as a donation to Spirit Rock, or you may request a credit to be used towards a future non-residential program. If you would like a credit, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two business days prior to the program. For more information, please see our Cancellation Policy for Non-Residential Programs.
View Phillip's profile.