Dates: April 13 - 14, 2019; 10:00am - 5:00pm Sliding Scale: $150 - 400. Code NM1M19. 9 CE credits available for $90, for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and
Dates: April 13 – 14, 2019; 10:00am – 5:00pm
Sliding Scale: $150 – 400. Code NM1M19.
9 CE credits available for $90, for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors.
The practice of samatha leads to the state of samadhi, where the mind is stable, bright, undistracted, and spacious. A dedicated practice of samatha can culminate in profound stillness, known as jhana, where the mind becomes fully absorbed in the object of attention.
Trying to develop samadhi through Herculean effort with the force of a whip to stop distractions and pull the mind into one-pointedness can be self-defeating. A wiser approach, which we will explore together, is similar to training a beloved puppy: through gentle and affectionate instructions that are at the same time resolved and steady. A stable mind is more inclined to insight. Developing samadhi, to any extent available, serves as a doorway to freedom of our minds and hearts.
Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for attendance requirements and more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
Based on the content of this program, you will be able to:
• Describe the goal of concentration practice and the potential pitfalls;
• Explain the relationship between concentration, mindfulness, and the arising of insight;
• State the supporting factors for concentration/stability of the mind;
• Explain a technique for developing concentration;
• Utilize mindfulness of breathing practices to develop present moment awareness, and to calm the mind in preparation for, and when working with clients or patients;
• Utilize body awareness practices to deepen listening presence with colleagues, clients, or patients.
Continuing Education content level: Introductory
Online registration for our programs is available until 12 noon of the last business day prior to the day of the event (e.g. online registration for a Monday program ends at 12 noon on the prior Friday). There is an additional $5 fee for registering at the door. If you can’t attend an event you registered for, please see our Cancellation Policy.
Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review our Non-Residential Programs FAQ for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
This program offers 9 CE credits for $90 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing board to see if credits from APA or BRN approved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
– The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
– Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 9 contact hours.
– The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
– The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
– Sign-in at the CE table within 15 minutes of the start of the program;
– Stay until the end of the program;
– Sign out.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered. For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, please visit the CE Credit information page.
If you are unable to attend a program, or fulfill the attendance requirements for CE credit, you may offer your CE credit fee as a donation to Spirit Rock, or you may request a credit to be used towards a future non-residential program. If you would like a credit, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two business days prior to the program. For more information, please see our Cancellation Policy for Non-Residential Programs.