Cost: Sliding Scale $75 - 200 The latest brain research has begun to confirm the central insights of the Buddha and other great teachers. And it's suggesting ways you can help
Cost: Sliding Scale $75 – 200
The latest brain research has begun to confirm the central insights of the Buddha and other great teachers. And it’s suggesting ways you can help your brain to enter deeper states of mindfulness and concentration, love and happiness. Suffering, joy and freedom all depend on what happens within your nervous system. Skillful practice, therefore, means being skillful with your own brain.
This experiential workshop will offer user-friendly information with lots of practical methods. No background in neuroscience or mindfulness is needed. We’ll cover: the relationship between body and mind, mind and brain; strengthening neural factors of mindfulness; the role of concentration in practice; practical help from brain research for steadying the mind, quieting it and bringing it to singleness, and how attending to our physiology (mindfulness of the body) effects the mind state and the nature of the thoughts arising.
Teachings are appropriate for individuals as well as health care professionals. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals- Based on the content of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Name two mechanisms of experience-dependent neuroplasticity;
- Give clients two examples of how repeated mental activity changes brain structure;
- Describe temperamental variations in the control of attention;
- Demonstrate to clients two ways to practice mindfulness.
Young Adults (18-26) and Seniors (65+ with limited income) are invited to attend this day for $45.
Online registration for our programs is available until 12 noon of the last business day prior to the day of the event (e.g. online registration for a Monday program ends at 12 noon on the prior Friday). There is an additional $5 fee for registering at the door. If you can’t attend an event you registered for, please see our Cancellation Policy.
Construction Alert: from February – April, 2018, the Marin County Department of Public Works will stabilize and repair a slide area on Sir Francis Drake Blvd. as you exit Fairfax on your way over White’s Hill towards Woodacre. Construction is expected from Monday through Saturday, 8:30 am to 5 pm. Travelers should expect 10-15 min. delays during peak commuting hours.
Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review our Non-Residential Programs FAQ for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
This course offers 5.5 CE credits for $55 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors and acupuncturists. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing Board to see if credits for programs from APA, BRN or CBAapproved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
- The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 5.5 contact hours.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
- The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
- Spirit Rock is an approved Continuing Education Provider for the California Acupuncture Board, CAB #1425. This Category 1 course has been approved by the California Acupuncture Board for 5.5 hours of continuing education.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation. To qualify to receive the certificate of completion, participants must attend the event in full – no partial credit for partial attendance. For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, please see Continuing Education (CE) Credit. Please remember: In order to qualify for CE credit, you must arrive and sign-in at the CE table within 15 minutes of the start of the event, stay until the end of the program, and sign out.
Cancellation Policy: If you are unable to attend a program, or fulfill the attendance requirements for CE credit, you may offer your CE credit fee as a donation to Spirit Rock, or you may request a credit to be used towards a future non-residential program. If you would like a credit, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two business days prior to the program. For more information, please see our Cancellation Policy for Non-Residential Programs.