(Saturday) 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Community Meditation Center
Cost: Sliding Scale $75 - 200. Code WN2D18. Open to people of all ages! No prior meditation experience is needed. It is a tradition in many cultures that people who reach a
Cost: Sliding Scale $75 – 200. Code WN2D18.
Open to people of all ages! No prior meditation experience is needed.
It is a tradition in many cultures that people who reach a certain age and are somewhat finished with the tasks of raising a family and working, can then focus on the spiritual life. In this daylong, we will explore how the path might unfold in our culture for those of us 55 years of age and older, and how we can move into and through this stage of life with more wisdom and ease. Those of us living in older bodies may begin to sense our priorities and perspectives changing – less compulsion to “do” or achieve, a keener awareness of mortality and the preciousness of life, gratitude for what is here and now, and compassion for our common humanity. During this day together we will reflect on these matters, practice meditation, and also experience the renowned movement technique of Feldenkrais Method, a practice that can keep aging bodies flexible and strong. We invite you to join a group of your peers for a day of dharma teachings, movement exercises, and contemplative inquiry to bring forth the deep wisdom of aging.
The Feldenkrais Method, based on principles of physics, neurology and physiology, may be used by health care professionals to reduce stress and burnout, built up by habitual patterns embedded in the nervous system. Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
Based on the content of this program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate practices to patients/clients that improve comfort and well-being, and utilize same practices to reduce physiological stresses at the workplace;
- Describe how increased coordination, flexibility, ease of posture and breathe re-educates the nervous system and develops self-awareness;
- Describe to clients or patients the psychological and physiological benefits of “intentional being” vs. “compulsive doing/achieving”;
- Utilize techniques to increase mindfulness of the mind and body in ways that may reduce psychological and physiological stress, and reduce professional burnout.
Young Adults (18-26) and Seniors (65+ with limited income) are invited to attend this day for $45.
Online registration for our programs is available until 12 noon of the last business day prior to the day of the event (e.g. online registration for a Monday program ends at 12 noon on the prior Friday). There is an additional $5 fee for registering at the door. If you can’t attend an event you registered for, please see our Cancellation Policy.
Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review our Non-Residential Programs FAQ for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
This course offers 5.5 CE credits for $55 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, chiropractors and acupuncturists. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing Board to see if credits for programs from APA, BRN or CBAapproved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
- The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 5.5 contact hours.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
- The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
- Spirit Rock is an approved Continuing Education Provider for the California Acupuncture Board, CAB #1425. This Category 2 course has been approved by the California Acupuncture Board for 5.5 hours of continuing education.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered. To qualify to receive the certificate of completion, participants must attend the event in full – no partial credit for partial attendance. For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, please see Continuing Education (CE) Credit. Please note: In order to qualify for CE credit, you must arrive and sign-in at the CE table within 15 minutes of the start of the event, stay until the end of the program, and sign out.
Cancellation Policy: If you are unable to attend a program, or fulfill the attendance requirements for CE credit, you may offer your CE credit fee as a donation to Spirit Rock, or you may request a credit to be used towards a future non-residential program. If you would like a credit, you must cancel by 4:00pm at least two business days prior to the program. For more information, please see our Cancellation Policy for Non-Residential Programs.