28Jun10:00 AM5:00 PMThrough the Dark Night: Breaking Down, Breaking Through, Waking Up10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Community Meditation Center Teacher(s): Donald Rothberg, PhD; Marisa Handler No prerequisiteOpens soon
Date: Sunday, June 28, 2020; 10:00am - 5:00pm. Sliding Scale: $95 - 200. Code DR3D20. 6 CE credits available for $60, for psychologists and California-licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors. Note: The
Date: Sunday, June 28, 2020; 10:00am – 5:00pm.
Sliding Scale: $95 – 200. Code DR3D20.
6 CE credits available for $60, for psychologists and California-licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors.
Note: The average cost per person, per day to Spirit Rock to offer a program is $160.
Many of us at some time pass through a “dark night of the soul,” an extended encounter with pain, confusion, and disorientation, sometimes manifesting as depression or breakdown or loss of functioning. In some cultures, such experiences are often hidden and regarded with shame. In others, they are often viewed as central to individual evolution, bringing transformation, purification, and amazing gifts. On this day retreat, we will explore this phenomenon through meditation, short talks, and sharing. We will offer a map of the dark night as part of awakening, identifying perspectives and practices that help us with this process.
Continuing Education (CE) credit available. Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. See below for attendance requirements and more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
At the end of the program you will be better able to:
• Describe the potential psychological benefit of experiencing extended periods of “dark” times, potentially including depression and despair.
• Describe the additional psychological burdens of going through these “dark” periods, such as social stigma and needing to hide what’s happening, as well as the burden of shame and self-judgment.
• Describe two mindfulness-based interventions for working with various “dark” times.
• Describe how the use of compassion and forgiveness practices may help someone in a “dark” period to go through the period skillfully.
Continuing Education content level: Intermediate
Online registration for our programs is available until 12 noon of the last business day prior to the day of the event (e.g. online registration for a Monday program ends at 12 noon on the prior Friday). There is an additional $5 fee for registering at the door. If you can’t attend an event you registered for, please see our Cancellation Policy.
Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review our Non-Residential Programs FAQ for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
This program offers 6 CE credits for $60 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, nurses, and chiropractors, licensed by the APA, CA BRN, BBS, or BCE.
– CE credit for psychologists is provided by the Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC). The Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
– The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
– Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 6 contact hours.
– The California Board of Chiropractic Examiners Code of Regulations 361(h)(2) provides that continuing education requirements may be met by taking continuing education courses by any California Healing Arts Board approved provider, including those approved by the BRN.
For those with a different license or board, please contact your licensing board directly to ask if CE credit from the above-approved sponsors is accepted.
– Register and pay for CE credits before the program begins.
– Sign-in at the CE table within 15 minutes of the start of the program;
– Stay until the end of the program;
– Sign out.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered.
For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, including attendance, cancellation, and grievance policies, please visit the CE Credit information page.