Date: January 26, 2019; 10:00am - 4:30pm Sliding Scale: $75 - 200. Code DO1D19. 5 CE credits available for $50, for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, and nurses.
Date: January 26, 2019; 10:00am – 4:30pm
Sliding Scale: $75 – 200. Code DO1D19.
5 CE credits available for $50, for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, and nurses.
A poignant thing about us humans is that we seem hard-wired to replay the past, especially when our past includes emotional pain or disappointment. We tend to go through our lives casting new people in the roles of key people, such as our parents or past partners. This phenomenon, called transference, is unconscious. What we transfer are feelings, needs, expectations, defenses, fantasies, beliefs, and attitudes. Transference is a way to tell the untold story inside us.
Buddhism offers us a path to liberation from clinging. We will see how this can apply to how we hold and work through our past, through an exploration of how our childhood and our past relationships figure into our present relationships.
Mindfulness helps us ground ourselves in the present so the past can become something we witness but not something that determines us. The Dharma offers us that supreme freedom. We will see how this happens.
Teachings are appropriate for health care professionals as well as the general public. Health care professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. Continuing Education (CE) credit available. See below for attendance requirements and more information.
Learning Objectives for participating health care professionals-
Based on the content of this program, you will be able to:
• Describe how Buddhist philosophies on happiness and causes of happiness; on suffering and the causes of suffering can be utilized in a clinical setting;
• Describe how transference of feelings from past relationships can cause long term suffering;
• Describe how working through past relationships illuminates present needs and affects current relationships;
• Describe a letting go practice to patients and clients to liberate from the pain caused by transference.
Continuing Education content level: Introductory
Online registration for our programs is available until 12 noon of the last business day prior to the day of the event (e.g. online registration for a Monday program ends at 12 noon on the prior Friday). There is an additional $5 fee for registering at the door. If you can’t attend an event you registered for, please see our Cancellation Policy.
Visit our Online Bulletin Board for Ride Sharing to find or offer a ride.
Volunteer/Work Exchange opportunities, as well as full or partial Scholarships, may be available for this program. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
Even if you have been to Spirit Rock before, please review our Non-Residential Programs FAQ for useful information about what to wear, what to bring, how to get here, and more.
This program offers 5 CE credits for $50 for psychologists and California licensed MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, and nurses. If you have a different license and are interested in CE credit, please check with your licensing board to see if credits from APA or BRN approved providers are accepted.
Continuing Education credit is co-sponsored by Spirit Rock and the Spiritual Competency Resource Center.
– The Spiritual Competency Resource Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
– The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal for programs from APA approved agencies.
– Spirit Rock is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP16905 for 5 contact hours.
– Sign-in at the CE table within 15 minutes of the start of the program;
– Stay until the end of the program;
– Sign out.
Credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended silent meditation, if offered. For more information about CE credit at Spirit Rock, please visit the CE Credit information page.
If you are unable to attend a program or fulfill the attendance requirements for CE credit, you may offer your CE credit fee as a donation to Spirit Rock, or you may request a credit to be used towards a future non-residential program. If you would like a credit, you must cancel by 4:00 pm at least two business days prior to the program. For more information, please see our Cancellation Policy for Non-Residential Programs.